Friday, December 20, 2013

Merry Christmas!

From all of the staff of Animal Hospital of Avon:
We want to wish you a very Merry Christmas, and a safe and Happy New Year!

In observance of the holidays, our hours will be as follows:
Monday, 12/23/13 - 8am-6pm
Tuesday, 12/24/13 - 8am-noon
Wednesday, 12/25/13 - Closed
Thursday, 12/26/13 - 8am-6pm
Friday, 12/27/13 - 8am-6pm
Saturday, 12/28/13 - 8am-noon

Monday, 12/30/13 - 8am-6pm
Tuesday, 12/31/13 - 8am-noon
Wednesday, 1/1/14 - Closed
Thursday, 1/2/14 - 8am-6pm
Friday, 1/3/14 - 8am-6pm
Saturday, 1/4/14 - 8am-noon

Friday, December 13, 2013

Holiday Hazards for Pets

With Christmas just around the corner, there are many things to consider as hazards for our furbabies.  Things that look pretty and smell great for us, can be toxic and deadly to them.  Do a quick walk through of your home to check for these most common hazards:

Tinsel & Ornaments - Though they look pretty, and are probably hanging all over your tree, they can be very dangerous to our pets.  Cats love to eat tinsel.  However, sometimes, tinsel may not find it's way out of your pet's digestive system.  It can get bound up and cause blockages sending your pet to the doctor for an emergency visit.  Ornaments can be just as dangerous.  Puppies, and even adult dogs, will look at them as though they are a chew toy.  If they are made of glass, or hard plastic, they can break apart and have sharp edges causing damage to your pet's mouth, throat, stomach, etc.  Even paper and fabric ornaments can cause blockages.
Keep ornaments out of reach of your pets, and don't allow your pet's free roam of the house when you are not around to watch them.  This includes bedtime.  Put dogs in their crates, or close them in your bedroom.  Put cats in a room with their food, water and litter box.

Candles - Keep candles far out of reach of your pets, and on a sturdy surface.  Not only could they burn your curious cats and dogs, but they can also be a fire hazard.  Cat's love to knock things over, and rub up against things.

Water - Not the water you put out for them to drink, but the water that your tree drinks, and the water that you put in potpourri.   Dogs and cats will drink from any water source, clean or dirty.  Tree water can sit for a while and get filled with pine needles and sap from the tree.  It can cause vomiting, and the pine needles can cause irritation to the mouth and throat.  Potpourri burners need water too.  Potpourri has coloring added, fragrances, and can contain dried plants that are toxic to your pets.

Electrical cords - Cords from all of those holiday lights make deadly chew toys for your cats and dogs.  Especially for puppies and kittens that will chew on any and every thing.  When a pet chews through the cord, they are at risk of being electrocuted, or could even cause a short in the wiring that can start an electrical fire.

Foods - There are many food dangers around the holidays.  Foods are left out on counters and tables for snacking on when guests are over.  Our pets think those food items are left out for them to snack on.
*Chocolate - Contains caffeine, fat & Methylxanthines.  Darker & richer chocolates are higher in toxicity (Baker's chocolate).  Chocolate ingestion can cause hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, heart arrhythmia, and/or seizures.
*Fat & bones - Turkey and ham are popular meats during the holidays.  Both contain bones that can break apart and be very sharp and cause digestive issues in dogs and cats.  Bones can also cause blockages requiring surgery.  Fat trimmings can cause Pancreatitis.
*Almonds, Walnuts & Pistachios - Certain nuts can cause stomach upset and even obstructions.
*Macadamia nuts & moldy walnuts - Certain nuts can be toxic and cause seizures.

Holiday plants - There are many indoor plants that can be hazardous to our pets.
*Pine needles from your Christmas tree can cause trembling & posterior weaknesses.
*Holly (used in some decorations) can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even depression.
*Mistletoe can cause vomiting and diarrhea, difficulty breathing, collapse, erratic behavior, and even death.
*Poinsettias can cause irritation to the mouth & stomach.

Lost pets - Pets can dart out of doors when you have guests in and out of the house.  Many of our guests don't think about our pets when they stand in the doorway saying goodbye.  Make sure that your pet is wearing an ID tag, Rabies tag, and/or has a registered microchip.  Just having a microchip implanted may not be enough.  You need to be sure that your microchip is registered with the correct contact information, and that your registration fees are paid.

Pets are like children.  If there is something they are not supposed to get into, chances are, they are going to do whatever it takes to get into it when you are not looking.  Pet proof your home during the holidays and beyond.
Be safe and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Information collected from:

Wednesday, December 11, 2013


Welcome to the Animal Hospital of Avon.
Blogging is very new to in just please, bear with us.  We will be sharing with you the latest advances in veterinary medicine, news and events related to our clinic and staff, and educational materials for you regarding your pet's health.
We hope that you will subscribe to our blog so that you can keep up to date with all that we share with you.  If you do have any suggestions for our blog, please feel free to email us at